Possibility of using Bittorrent in a non-WEB environment?
yi wu
2005-03-14 18:57:56 UTC
Hi:

I am wondering if any BittTorrent expert can help me with the following
quesiton.

I am interested to find out the possibility of using BittTorrent in a
non-WEB environment for distributing a large file in an isolate large
network environment.

For example, I have one thousand Linux system on a network and I want to
distribute a 3GB file to all the systems in a peer-to-peer fashion
automatically without human intervention.

Can someone tell me if BittTorrent can help in this case? If not, do you
know any peer-to-peer file distribution software I can use for this?

Thanks so much.

Yi

BitTorrent-***@yahoogroups.com

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Harold Feit - Depthstrike.com Administrator
2005-03-15 02:41:29 UTC

BitTorrent can work in that environment, distributing the 3GB file in
segments automatically between all the systems. There is a minimal
amount of intervention required (getting the .torrent metafile to the
machines without the file and starting it there), but the bandwidth
load will be more balanced across the network.

If your entire network is switched, you should see progressively more
and more bandwidth available to machines that don't have the file as
machines that have parts of the file get more parts and/or complete.
You won't have to worry about massive strain on the source system
because of the segmented nature of a BitTorrent transfer.

All the systems on the network could, in theory, start simultaneously
and all get a maximum transfer rate of the source system's upload
until all the pieces are available outside of the source, at which
point they start getting speeds closer to their network backbone
uplink.

What you are planning on doing is fairly close to what the intended
purpose of BT is.

I am wondering if any BittTorrent expert can help me with the
following
quesiton.

I am interested to find out the possibility of using BittTorrent in a
non-WEB environment for distributing a large file in an isolate large
network environment.

For example, I have one thousand Linux system on a network and I want
distribute a 3GB file to all the systems in a peer-to-peer fashion
automatically without human intervention.

Can someone tell me if BittTorrent can help in this case? If not, do
you
know any peer-to-peer file distribution software I can use for this?

Thanks so much.

Yi

- --
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

Yahoo! Groups Links

Olaf van der Spek
2005-03-15 10:18:36 UTC
Post by Harold Feit - Depthstrike.com Administrator
BitTorrent can work in that environment, distributing the 3GB file in
segments automatically between all the systems. There is a minimal
amount of intervention required (getting the .torrent metafile to the
machines without the file and starting it there), but the bandwidth
load will be more balanced across the network.
If your entire network is switched, you should see progressively more
and more bandwidth available to machines that don't have the file as
machines that have parts of the file get more parts and/or complete.
You won't have to worry about massive strain on the source system
because of the segmented nature of a BitTorrent transfer.
All the systems on the network could, in theory, start simultaneously
and all get a maximum transfer rate of the source system's upload
I doubt the storage subsystems of those systems can sustain 20 - 200
mbyte/s of 16 kbyte random access read/writes.

Greg Knaddison
2005-03-15 16:20:17 UTC
Post by yi wu
For example, I have one thousand Linux system on a network and I want to
distribute a 3GB file to all the systems in a peer-to-peer fashion
automatically without human intervention.
If you want to do this regularly, you would first need to install
bittorrent on all of the systems and then you could set up a cron
python script that gets a list of .torrent files from some URL on the
LAN and then tries to download them. Run your cron script nightly,
the systems download the file and then the next day you remove the
.torrent from your http server.

If you want to do it once...you'll need human interaction, but
bittorrent might still be a good distribution mechanism. You probably
know this already, but there are tools which will execute the same
command on a large number of hosts. I can't remember their names now,
but Linux Journal had a review of one a little while ago.

Greg

Yahoo! Groups Links