RFC: Creative Commons license for BitTorrent
a***@yahoo.com
2005-01-22 02:40:02 UTC
Please see:
http://writtorrent.sourceforge.net/2005/01/rfc-bittorrent-creative-commons.html

In short, I am requesting all comments about this method.

The purpose is to allow BitTorrent's meta data to also describe the
Creative Commons license metadata of the content being transferred.

The developer documentation also notes that this should happen along
with Bram's consent so as to remain compatible.

It has been my experience that most clients ignore the beconded
dictionary items that they are not looking for, but please, Bram, if
reading, let me know what you need, or a quick yay/nay just to let me
know that this is okay.

Please reply with any comments or corrections or flames. You can also
reply on the page, or to me directly.

Thank you,

Thomas Winningham

Yahoo! Groups Links

BitTorrent-***@yahoogroups.com

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
John Reuning
2005-01-24 00:56:36 UTC
There is much value in associating license information (not just
creative commons) and other types of metadata with torrent files.
However, the role of BT applications is file transfer, and it seems like
the information contained in torrent files is specific to that role.

Most tracker implementations have rudimentary means of finding files,
but more descriptive information would be useful. To that end, ibiblio
has a project currently under development to merge metadata and BT.
http://osprey.ibiblio.org The goal is a web application that integrates
a BT tracker and a catalog-like metadata management system. As the
basic descriptive elements, it uses OMF
(http://www.ibiblio.org/osrt/omf/), which is largely Dublin Core. There
are places for title, description, license, and several other things.
For an element such as license, Osprey will come with a list of open
source software, creative commons, etc. licenses from which to choose
when creating document records.

We plan to use Osprey to distribute a wide variety of content already
available via http & ftp. A pilot site exists at
http://torrent.ibiblio.org

Thanks,

-jrr

a***@yahoo.com
2005-01-24 03:29:15 UTC
I've created goals / use cases for the CC mailing list, so I ought to
put them here as well:

Goals:
1. To identify a BitTorrent distribution act as Creative Commons licensed.

2. To provide the proper metadata associated with that (deriv, source,
etc)

3. To allow people the ability to easily note the CC license during
the act of creating the .torrent along-side of the tracker, and files.

4. To foster the commons in using BitTorrent as a means of
distribution that allows them more reach than their existing bandwidth
can realize, and proportionally so with demand.

Use cases:
1. A tool for creating a .torrent file where the user could go ahead
and apply a license to all of the work as a collection.

2. Downloading content through BitTorrent and being assured of your
legal rights to do so (as well as your legal right to allow uploads
back to the swarm)

3. Creating a site where you can be assured that .torrents coming in
for submission to be published on your site (*and* to use the site's
BitTorrent tracker) can programatically look for the license before
the work can be published (to keep the site admin's safe)

4. Auditing tracker use according to license, tracing back use of a
tracker back to licensee in case of dispute.

Thank you,

Thomas