BT Like Datastore
Wouter Smeenk
2005-03-05 08:42:24 UTC
This is just something that popped into my head and I thought I shared
it with this mailing list to see what everyone else thinks of it.

The idea is: There is a group of peers that stores an amount of data
and keeps replicating this data as long as this data is downloaded (on
users request). In this network the peers would download and upload
data to other peers without bothering the user.

So each client stores a part of the hole. If a user wants to download
the other peer begin to upload what they have to this peer.

The application could start at the start of the OS and begin uploading
at some low rate so that the user can still do everything he does
normally.

In this system it would be easier of the user to let the application
just upload. The downside is that such an application can be hacked
and made to not upload but just download. This is hard to control in
the network.

The downloading and uploading could be done in a BT kind of way. I
haven't thought this out.

Why did I post this here? Well there are many people here interested
in peer-to-peer networks and I just wanted to hear what other people
think about it.

Wouter Smeenk

Yahoo! Groups Links

BitTorrent-***@yahoogroups.com

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Joseph Ashwood
2005-03-07 01:27:40 UTC
2005-03-07 09:44:48 UTC
but in this way, some people will get the pieces of file they dont
want to dload in the first place...so not everyone is going to accept
the basic structure.